Unity3D Game &
VR Design Engine
Unity3D is a system to design and develop 3D environments for 3D games on computer or mobile device AND for virtual reality environments like Oculus Rift and HTC VIVE. This system provides the tools to:
- create 3D models & objects
- create 3D spaces & environments
- create a 3D game using 3D models and spaces
- create a Virtual Reality experience in a 3D space
- create an interactive VR game
Unity3D is a powerful system used in many commercial games and VR experiences. A basic user license is free, and a full user license is free for educational institutions like K-12 schools and universities. This makes Unity3D an attractive system for game design classes and for developing VR content by students and teachers.
Unity3D is a complex system with a steep learning curve for those not familiar with 3D modeling environments. The user interface, 3D modeling techniques, and animation & game programming are new ideas and skills for must people. While complex, it is not too hard for interested middle school students and normal high school and university students. Fortunately, there are a series of tutorials that provide a solid introduction to Unity3D basics.
Here's how to start:
- Download Unity3D from https://unity3d.com/
- If you are working with a K-12 school or a university, check out the free full-feature license
- Begin the tutorials from the Unity3D site: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials (do the EASY ones, starting with the Roll-a-Ball game -- note: 9 videos)
Virtual Reality Development
If you are interested in developing virtual reality experiences, There's a very active user community that can help you with any aspect of learning Unity3D. Plan on investing time in learning a very powerful tool for creating highly engaging experiences. Here's where to start with a series of tutorial videos: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/virtual-reality
By learning and teaching Unity3D, you anchor your skills and those of your students in the core of game development and in the heart of the emerging field of Virtual Reality.